hey, i like your blog, i’m reading your blog on a daily basis, and i just want to ask you what i can i do to enhance my skills, knowledge and to be a be good in functional testing (manual and automation) IF i’m the ONLY tester in my current company (performing all testing activities), but i feel that i have a mess in my head and lots to learn to be up to date with the last trends.
my question now “What to learn, When(everyday?) and How in case your are the only tester in your company”.
i hope to answer my question soon to make my head calm down
I have fond memories of a project where I worked as the solo tester on a software delivery team; we had something like 8 developers (including one lead who took on iteration management tasks) and me as a tester. That was it. I loved it because we established really good unhindered rapport with our business stakeholders, and I was always busy!
But getting back to your question: when I was working in that situation it was vital that we had developers working on as much test automation as possible, alongside functional development, since there was just too much functional testing to do for a single person also doing test automation. I found myself spending about 80% of my time just testing new functionality and spot-testing different browsers/devices etc. The remaining 20% I spent ensuring we had good regression test coverage through the automated tests that developers were writing and I was helping maintain. So first and foremost I would strongly encourage you to get the developers you work with to have as much responsibility as possible for automated tests.
If you have this in place you should be able to take a deep breath and spend more time doing quality testing. I have found the best way to learn is on the job, you’ll be in a good position to do this, and often you’ll learn best by making your own mistakes.
If you want to know more about how to become better at what you do, I’ve shared some tips in a previous answer. There’s also my Pride & Paradev book which I wrote whilst working as a solo tester on a team.
All the best.