After three and a half years of working by myself at home, it feels truly great to be working in a co-located cross-functional team again. My squad consists of four developers and myself, and I had forgotten how much I love being a paradev. I wear many hats every day in my job, which I love, and one of these hats is managing our iterations of work: our fortnightly sprints.
We follow lightweight agile software development practices but in the spirit of this our squad is empowered to experiment and adjust our techniques to delivery good quality software quickly.
We aim to work on items of work in small chunks and have these features being used by our customers as quickly as possible by releasing software at least daily to production.
Typically we’ve been using a simple physical agile story wall which is good when you’re working on small and fairly independent chunks of functionality, but we’ve found not all work fits into this style of working.
We recently had an initiative that involved lots of small tasks, but there were a lot inter-dependencies between the tasks – as we need to do data creation, migration, back end services migration and new front end development. Our standard agile story wall which looked like this was very bad at showing us what was dependent on what:
As a team we decided to experiment with using our agile story wall to map the dependencies we have between work and also to show when we’re able to release the various pieces of functionality. The two week sprints were less relevant as we release as soon as we can. We still have some pieces of independent work (eg. bug fixes and tech debt) which we kept tracking using the standard Kanban style columns under our main board:
This gave us instant benefits: the dependencies were not only very clear but elastic. We used a whiteboard marker to draw lines between tasks which meant as we discovered new or unnecessary dependencies we could quickly remove or re-arrange these lines. But we also quickly realized that in mapping our dependencies out this way we lost one key attribute of our information radiator: we couldn’t see the status of our pieces of work at quick glance which the standard status based wall gave us. Since we’re using a physical wall we can quickly adapt so we added some sticky dots to indicate status of individual cards: blue for in progress, a smaller yellow dot is in-review, and green for done since blue + yellow = green (I’m happy to take the credit for that). We also added red for blocked when we discovered we had our first blocked piece of work, and a legend in case the colours weren’t immediately obvious:
Once our 4 week initiative was over we found the dependency wall was so useful we’ve decided to continue using it for the main focus of each sprint, and continue using the standard status based columns for less critical things. We’ll continue to refine and iterate.
- Having an old-fashioned physical agile story wall is powerful is a lot of ways, and one of the most powerful things about it is how easy it is to modify and adapt your wall to whatever suits you best at the time: we couldn’t have achieved what we did if we were using a digital board like JIRA or Trello.
- Standard agile story walls are good for showing status of work, but are very weak at showing interdepencies between stories and tasks – the major software solutions suffer from this.
- A software team being agile isn’t about just doing sprint planning, standups, a story wall and retrospectives from a textbook. It’s about delivering software rapidly in the best possible way for your team and your context – and continually experimenting and adjusting your ways of working is crucial to this.