Shoshin has come along fairly nicely. I pretty much followed the same implementation strategy as I did with Einstein: write failing specs and make them pass until I have a robot that can actually win, or solve in this case, Sudoku. I tend to use large pieces of blank white paper and draw lots of diagrams and logic when I am trying to figure something out (and take a Archimedes break and eat a pink lady apple if I get really stuck – see sticker top right).
Shoshin was written in ruby, so I used both RSpec and Cucumber to write the executable specifications. I tend to write lots of low level specifications in RSpec that run really quickly (40 specs in ~1 second), and then have a handful of high level end to end specifications in Cucumber that I run less frequently, but ultimately specify what I am trying to achieve at a high level. I find the combination works very nicely as I get fast feedback and ultimately know what I am trying to achieve.
To solve some of the more difficult sudoku problems, I printed some strategy diagrams from the web and wrote failing specs for them. It was then a matter of making them pass!
The outcome is Shoshin (see source on github) who can win easy, medium and hard games on websudoku.com. She doesn’t presently win evil games, as they involve guessing/brute force attacks which I haven’t implemented yet. Maybe one day when I get time..